Friday, June 25, 2010

Sem aloo.

So last night for dinner I took my first test drive with The Indian Vegan Kitchen: More Than 150 Quick and Healthy Homestyle Recipes, which I posted about here. I wanted something fast and easy using what I had on hand, and the recipe for sem aloo (green beans and potatoes) fit the bill. The only ingredients: fresh green beans, one Yukon Gold potato, some spices, and a tiny bit of oil and water, plus I threw in some onion for good measure. (Sorry, but it's probably not cool to reprint a copyrighted recipe! You'll have to check out the book for specifics.) There's no sauce involved, just a nice blend of spices on the veggies as they simmer. Either some of my spices are stale or I'm accustomed to more pungent flavors than the recipe calls for, so I wound up adding more salt to help bring out the spices. But I did really enjoy the dish and I'm sure I'll make it again soon. Served on a bed of basmati rice, this was indeed a quick and filling GF summer supper.

In other news: California Tortilla has recently added gluten to their list of allergen info! Previously they only gave information about wheat content. CalTort can be found on Main Street in Newark DE, among other locations primarily in MD and VA. Now if only they could redo their amazing chicken tortilla soup to be GF!

No comments:

Post a Comment