Sunday, June 6, 2010

Delaweekend update.


I'm very pleased to report a semi-new GF-friendly restaurant option in the Wilmington, Delaware area. In the olden days Before Gluten, I meant to try out Big Fish Grill on the Riverfront, which opened sometime last fall, but I'd forgotten all about it. I won't make that mistake again. Not only do they offer a GF menu, there's also vegan, garlic-free, shellfish-free, dairy-free, and egg-free - how incredibly comprehensive is that? I ordered fresh grilled grouper with smashed potatoes and spinach, all of which I enjoyed. (Does grouper always taste like chicken?) I forgot to ask if any of the fish is local or sustainably caught, but I'll get on that next time. For now I'm delighted with their dietary inclusiveness. There's another Big Fish Grill (the original location) in Rehoboth Beach. (Photo from Big Fish Grill's Facebook page)

Another good choice in the Newark area: Cheeseburger in Paradise, a tropical island-themed chain restaurant. (For PA people, there are also locations in Exton and Oxford Valley.) There are several entrées, salads, and many burgers (sans bun) to choose from; beef, turkey, and veggie burgers are all GF. Today I indulged in the West Indies Burger, which is served with goat cheese, spring mix, and some manner of coconut-mango topping with banana jerk chutney dipping sauce and (ooh la la) french fries.

New product alert: Dr. McDougall's Asian Entrée Pad Thai instant noodle cup (not currently listed on the website). There are several other varieties in the Asian Entrée line but as far as I know, Pad Thai is the only one that's gluten-free. I found this in the organic section of my local Giant Food. (Extra bonus: "The cup you are holding is made from paper sourced exclusively from certified sustainably managed forests.") At 200 calories and 2g fat per serving, this is going with me on vacation next week for sure. Let's just hope it tastes good too.

I also discovered a new (to me) instant-favorite snack: Wholly Guacamole snack packs! They're gluten-free, made with actual food, and are 100 calories per pouch, so they are perfect for satisfying a guacamole craving without going overboard. I recommend dipping in with Green Mountain Gringo tortilla strips, which are GF-certified and all natural.

No comments:

Post a Comment